Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Bird Gerhl

At first I found this video very disturbing because a teenage boy appears to committee suicide. However, I have come to really love this because I now interpret on a different level. I see it as rejecting societal constrictions and embracing ones true self. The building that the boy jumps from is a school building, which symbolizes conformity. By jumping from it, the boy is allowing himself to be who he is. This tension between one's actual identity and one's societal appearance is further highlighted by the contradictions between the imagery of falling and the liberating imagery of birds and lyrics.

Here are Antony and the Johnson's Bird Gerhl Lyrics
I am a bird girl now
I've got my heart
Here in my hands now
I've been searching
For my wings some time
I'm gonna be born
Into soon the sky
Cause I'm a bird girl
And the bird girls go to heaven
I'm a bird girl
And the bird girls can fly
Bird girls can fly

No comments: